Media Releases

Agri-parks: No intent of government to run agriculture - Agbiz Congress

The government has no intent of running agriculture with its agri-parks concept. Rural South Africa, however, has to be transformed and the government believes that agri-parks will make a huge contribution in this regard. Nasele Mehlomakulu, chief director: Infrastructure Development of the department of rural development and land reform, told the Agbiz congress that the department is consulting as widely as possible with stakeholders to ensure the success of the project.

10.06.2016 / Media Releases

» more...

Clear, focused trade policy a must - Agbiz Congress

South Africa has to find its path among the complexities of the so called “new” debate over trade, industrial and investment policies. The question is if the country should protect itself with strict measures dictating foreign investment and trade or allow the multinational companies to invest and dictate the rules of the game. This is the view of Peter Draper, managing director of TUTWA Consulting, who discussed the intricacies of local trade developments at the Agbiz congress.

10.06.2016 / Media Releases

» more...

Lights according to Eskom has ceased - Agbiz Congress

Eskom’s monopoly over power supply has irrevocably ended. The advent of independent power producers (IPPs) in the renewable arena has ended this monopoly. This is the view of Brian Statham, chairperson of the SA National Energy Association (SANEA), a speaker at the Agbiz congress. “IPPs are going to become bigger and they will claim a bigger portion of the South African market,” he said. “Our energy world will change fundamentally as a result.”

10.06.2016 / Media Releases

» more...

More jobs and crops per drop will determine water challenge - Agbiz Congress

It is a global trend to distribute water away from agriculture to industry and for urban use. South Africa will be no exception. With pressure on this limited resource agriculture will find itself at the back of the queue. The agricultural sector will have to come to grips with the process of water allocation. It will have to increasingly participate in the detail management of this process to get their fair share and make sure that the system works for them.

10.06.2016 / Media Releases

» more...

Progress with land reform but there are concerns - Agbiz Congress

South Africa has made progress with land reform and there is now more certainty with regard to some worrying aspects. “The government is now starting to accommodate a level of flexibility in its plans,” Agbiz CEO Dr John Purchase said at the Agbiz congress.

10.06.2016 / Media Releases

» more...

Still hope for South Africa to play in premier league - Agbiz Congress

There is still a 45% chance that South Africa could play in the premier league in the next five years. This will be determined by the county’s competitiveness and social cohesion. There is, however, also a 45% chance that South Africa could move to second league. It seems that South Africa is sitting between these two scenarios at the moment, but there is also a 10% chance that South Africa could become a failed state.

10.06.2016 / Media Releases

» more...

South Africans must dream big - Agbiz Congress

According to Statistics SA the percentage of black youth between the ages of 25 and 34 in professional, managerial and technical fields has dropped by 2% in the last two decades. "Currently, 60% of South Africa’s unemployed youth has never worked before and their parents are better educated and equipped than they are. This is a sign of regression," said Mpumelelo Mkhabela, station manager of commercial talk radio station POWER 98.7, at the congress.

10.06.2016 / Media Releases

» more...

Agbiz elects office bearers

Agbiz last week elected its office bearers for 2016-2018 at a Members Meeting held in Somerset West, Cape Town.

 

08.06.2016 / Media Releases

» more...

Agbiz response to Minister Pravin Gordhan’s 2016 Budget Speech

budget.jpg

“Not in the last two decades has there been as much interest and anticipation in the annual budget speech of the Minister of Finance, as was the case with Minister Pravin Gordhan’s 2016 Budget Speech,” syas Dr John Purchase, CEO of Agbiz.

25.02.2016 / Media Releases

» more...

Agbiz responds to suspension of South Africa’s agricultural products from AGOA by USA

On the 5th November 2015, President Obama informed Congress of the intention to suspend the application of duty-free treatment to all AGOA-eligible agricultural products from South Africa.

06.11.2015 / Media Releases

» more...

<< <  Page 2 of 6  > >>

Agbiz Members

  • Absa AgriBusiness
  • Afgri Operations Ltd
  • Afrivet
  • Agri Expo
  • AFMA
  • Agrifusion
  • Agri Mega Group
  • Alltech (Pty) Ltd
  • Association of Agritourism South Africa (AASA)
  • AVCASA
  • Barloworld Handling Materials
  • Bathopele
  • Beefmaster
  • BKB Ltd
  • Capespan
  • Certisure
  • Citrus Growers Association
  • Durban Fresh Produce Market
  • East London Industrial Development Zone
  • Engen
  • Farmwise Grains (Pty) Ltd
  • FNB
  • Fraserburg Koöp Bpk
  • Fresh Produce Exporters' Forum (FPEF)
  • GWK Limited
  • Highveld Egg Co-op Ltd
  • Hans Merensky Holdings
  • Humansdorpse Koöp Bpk Trading as The Co-op/Die Kooperasie
  • Industrial Development Corporation
  • Institute of Market Agents of SA (IMASA)
  • John Deere
  • Kimech Agri Tractor and Machinery CC
  • Kaap Agri Bedryf Ltd
  • KLK Landbou Bpk
  • Land Bank
  • Marsh Africa
  • Monsanto
  • Mosstrich Ltd
  • Mutual & Federal Agri
  • National Agricultural Marketing Council (NAMC)
  • Nedbank
  • Netafim
  • PMI SA
  • NWK Ltd
  • Obaro
  • Old Mutual
  • Overberg Agri Bedrywe (Edms) Bpk
  • OVK Operations Ltd
  • Pioneer Hi-Bred RSA (Pty) Ltd
  • PwC South Africa
  • Rovic Leers
  • SA Agri Academy
  • Saltcor
  • San Miguel Fruits SA
  • Sansor
  • Santam Agriculture
  • Senwes Ltd